The beginning of education in Rastenburg / Kętrzyn dates back to the 16th century. In 1546, on demand of the Latin School, established by Albrecht Hohenzollern,a floor was added in the former cemetery chapel (presently St. John’s Church). In 1810 the School was transformed into Prince Albrecht Royal Gimnasium and after next seven years it was transferred into a new building located within the city walls, next to St. George’s Church. Due to the School’s needs caused by constantly increasing number of students, the city authorities decided to build a new edifice at the beginning of the 20th century. Therefore, two lots were purchased on Peasants Suburb and funds had been collected for new establishment.
The building of present Wojciech Kętrzyński Upper Secondary Complex was built in 1904 -1907 by Wagner company from Berlin for a sum of 420 thousand German marks. In 1930 the southern wing of the School was expanded, providing the building with the present shape.
The red brick building was designed in neo-gothic style with its characteristic blends, friezes and lancet -shaped windows. Two-storey gable roof, the main body of the building is closed by breaks on both sides. Main entrance to the School was set in northern and the wider of breaks. Over the entrance in the lancet blend there is the inscription "Herzog Albrecht Schule" and the emblem of an eagle of the Hohenzollern family. They were inscribed as the following: "Emzog Albrecht Schule". The whole of architecture assumption was completed by: directory penthouse which was leaning to northern wing (present library) and a sports hall situated in the north-east of the courtyard.
While building the School different constructive solutions were implemented. The corridors were covered with vaulted ceilings and star-shaped columns supported by sandstone, a staircase with a net ceiling. In the classrooms on the second floor, wooden ceilings with plasters were raised and in the rest of the floors ceilings were built according to L. Förster or M. Koenen technology. Corridors were lined with ceramic tiles (on the ground floor) and linoleum flooring (on upper floors). Some local artisans had been working on the interior and finally, on April 17, 1907, a ceremony was held to convey the School into public use. The artisans made, for instance, door joinery, paneling in the hallway, hand-forged door handles, heating and ventilation systems, all of them preserved till today.
The School, exclusively for boys, housed 12 general classrooms, a classroom for singing and drawing lessons, chemistry and physics laboratory, a meeting room, a staff room, a library, a director's office, a janitor’s flat on the ground floor, and a representative aula on the second floor. Moving with the times, the facility was equipped in a very modern way. In the classrooms there were double benches with holes for the inkwell, massive teachers desks on cathedrals and boards on the walls. In the artsroom, curtains were placed on the window pillars, which allowed to divide the room into four parts. The drawing tables held posts for models. In the physics laboratory, equipped with blackout devices on the windows, there were four-beam gas lamps with reflectors. The school had a number of teaching aids, including maps, diagrams, models and exercise equipment.
Particular attention was paid to the appearance of the auditorium (aula), which was supposed to have a representative function. The room was covered with wooden ceiling, decorated with two-meter, profiled wainscoting. Stained glass which was founded by the graduates of the gymnasium was put in the windows. Under the trifory window there was a stage installed where concerts and lectures took place.
With the beginning of 1945 there came a tragic moment in the history of the School. After entering the city, the Red Army destroyed the school with the aids and burned down part of the library. Fortunately, the building itself did not suffer, and therefore, after the acquisition of Rastenburg by the Polish administration, it was decided that the functioning of the school was to be continued. The opening of State Coeducational Gymnasium and High School in Rastembork was held on September 23, 1945. It was transformed into Wojciech Kętrzyński High School on January 14, 1956.